- 6 lamb shanks
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into spears
- 4 - 6 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Day 2 - Seasoning
- 2 tbsp TBQ Steak and Chop
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed chillies
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, chopped fine
- 3 stalks celery with the leaves, chopped fine
- 1 28oz can chopped Italian tomatoes
- Make small slits into the lamb shanks and insert garlic spears. Pour Worcestershire sauce over meat to cover well.
- Place shanks into a covered, thick-bottom braising pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine seasoning ingredients in a grinder or mortar & pestle. Grind all spices together. Rub the shanks with the seasoning mixture. Store any excess seasoning in a sealed airtight jar to use another time.
- Roast the lamb shanks uncovered until well browned, approximately 30 minutes. Remove the shanks from the braising pan.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- On stovetop, heat olive oil on medium high in the same braising pan. Add lamb shanks to oil to sear. Add the onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture over the lamb shanks so they well-covered with the sauce. Cover the braising pan and return to the oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Roast is done when the lamb is tender and releases fork easily when pierced. Rest uncovered in the oven with the heat off for 15 - 20 minutes before serving.